On November 23, 2016 the first step of the Teeth Care project started.Pedodontic department’s staff (1 lecturer and 1 lecturer’s assistant) with 20 dental students visited Erbil Ola primary school which is located in Saidawa in Erbil. The visit was performed in cooperation with Dean of Students and Kurdistan Save Children Organization who provided the project with materials and gains the government’s agreements for visiting schools.
The number of the examened school’s children were 260, all included by the dental examination. The data of the dental examination are collected and kept in a special file in the pedodontic department.
Method used to perform the visit:
- On the arrival to the school the staff visited the office of the school’s manager and discussed the duty and show the government’s agreement.
- The students devided into 5 groups each group enter a class with smile faces to show children that ‘we are comming for your happiness’.
- Dental examination done for all the class
- Gifts (toothbrush and toothpast) gave to the examened children as rewards for encouragement.
- The dental students did demonstration about the correct way of brushing.
- Then fluoride gel applied by the dental students for all the children’s teeth.
- Instructions about good oral hygiene, given orally by the dental students.
- All the class had the instructions about mainaining good oral health printed on papers.
- All those procedures repeated for all classes of the school.
- Apreciation of the school’s staff.
- Benifits to the children in relation to their oral health.
- Benifits to the dental students in relation to their knowlage in the subject of oral examination, fluoride application and oral health instructions.
- The students learned to have the soul of philanthophy and helping people in need.
- The organization ‘Kurdistan Save Children’ could reach its goal in helping poor people in case of their oral health by the help of Tishk International University/Dentistry Faculty staff and students.